Monday, August 17, 2009

Secret Shopping Sunday: What not to do

Secret Shopping Sunday -- (a day late)


After getting back in town from Vegas and working off of no sleep .... my brain was pretty much in la-la-land. I signed up for this secret shop at Arbys, which I have previously done at least six times before. I didn't re-read the instructions since I felt like I was familiar enough with the job and had to run out the door to make it to dine within the time frame given. I invited Gabe along to do it with me since I had to purchase two combo meals, AND, I don't eat two meals!


The requirements were to order a regular combo meal inside the restaurant, then order a regular combo meal in the drive thru, and pay with cash. The point of this shop was to determine how long it took from the time you paid for your meal to receive your meal in full as well as the quality/temperature of the product.


Piece of cake.


I walk up to the counter with Gabe and say, "I would like a #1 please." She asks, "Would you like that small, medium, or large." I freeze. She confused me since I am suppose to order a regular combo meal, but does that translate into small or medium?!?! I awkwardly pause so I can try to think back to the paperwork. It doesn't come to me quick enough, so I say medium. Then, I watch her grab the larger cup and immediately realize that I should have ordered small. Dangit. It was too late, and I didn't want to change my order since she had already given me my total. I just go with it though. I then hand her my credit card (since I always pay with credit card) and she asks if I want a receipt. I love when they give me a receipt so I don't have to ask for one. I say yes. Then, it hits me. I had to pay with cash. I even remember looking in my wallet to check to make sure I had enough cash since this is one of the few jobs where you are required to pay with cash. Ahhh are you kidding me?? I walk away in panic mode asking Gabe what to do. I asked him to ask the lady if he could refund my card so I could pay with cash instead. He said, "no way, you messed it up, you do it." Thanks Gabe!! So, I have nothing to lose, right?


I RE-walk up to the counter, after being gone just a few seconds, and oddly ask her if she would be able to credit my card back since I didn't mean to pay with that card and wanted to use cash. She happily said, "that will be no problem, I can easily void it." I create small talk to make it more casual. Whew. She was able to void it. Thank goodness. Then, as she is re-ringing me up on the register, I am thinking to myself ... how do I get a receipt without making this situation more uncomfortable!! Of course, she doesn't give me a receipt, so I have to ask for one. Awkward. What person would need a receipt for a $5 purchase at Arby's?


I was kicking myself after this secret shop wishing I hadn't been functioning on no sleep. I made Gabe eat as fast as possible to get out of dodge! Well, once I got home, I realized that I did not even have to upload the receipt for this job. I am suppose to keep it on file until I receive payment, so it's best that I have the itemized receipt, but I stressed out and didn't even have to show proof!


***It is so important to read the guidelines, re-read the guidelines, and even have your guest read the guidelines to make sure you are fully aware of the scenario, requirements, etc.


***Most companies will not reimburse you if you shop outside of the hours listed, if you do not pay with method of payment listed, or if you order wrong/additional items.

17 comments:

Kyle said...

He said, "no way, you messed it up, you do it." Thanks Gabe!!

Haha, that's hilarious, I would probably do the same thing.

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

Well, Mr. guru would have done the same thing Gabe did. I like this secret shopper thing. How did you get started?

Jax said...

This is hilarious! This is totally something I would do! haha!

Kendall and Brooks said...

I am so glad you found me, yes! What a small world???

Haven't met Abby in real life, but we hope to soon! She is a doll!

the tichenor family said...

SOOOO something I would do. And, for the record, I would TOTALLY have kicked Kevin in the shins for not bailing me out on the credit card/cash thing! HA.

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Dude. I want to be a secret shopper! I actually worked at an Arby's when I was in high school and we used to get full on reports from secret shoppers.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

That is hilarious!!! I love reading about your secret shopping experiences!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

There is always some crazy story to share that's for sure!!! That is the main reason I started my blog because my husband would die after hearing half of my secret shopping stories!!

Courtney said...

Came across your blog and I love the header! You guys are so cute!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious!! haha! I found your page via a comment you left on "Then I Got to Thinking" Great blog!! :) So glad I found you! Let me know if you would like to add one another as followers:) !

Amber said...

Hey there! I'm so glad you found my blog! You and your husband are so adorable.

We're actually going to Vegas later this week and I saw you just got back. Question... I was going to wear a couple of comfortable maxi dresses but you said it's sweltering so now I don't know. I noticed you wore one there... were you dying in it or do you think they would be safe to wear? I know shorts would probably be better but the dresses are so stinking comfortable!

Oh and this story? Definitely something I would do! And my husband would in no way bail me out. Men. :-)

Annie said...

ha, i'm not the greatest at following directions either, hehe.

i want to be a secret shopper!
i love free stuff!

btw, love your header!

. said...

whoa whoa!!!!! He's your dermatologist's son?????? I'm so jealous! Have you met him before????

Audrey said...

what company do you do secret shopping through?

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I will post a list of a handful of certified secret shopping companies asap! I love that some of ya'll are anxious to start :)

Taryn said...

I was a secret shopper a few years back - I completely know where you're coming from! Ah, the stresses of trying to remember everything!

Classy Fab Sarah said...

I have always wanted to be a secret shopper... I totally have what it takes. If what it takes is a love for shopping, that is...

Related Posts with Thumbnails



Harley the Yorkie

Willis the Lhasa Apso mut

Bobbi Brown Cosmetics
Dresses from Shabby Apple

Popular Deals


Search Seattle Smith's